Using Your Eyes Shouldn’t Be an Effort
For most of us, digital devices are part of everyday life. But using digital screens for too long can make your eyes tired and sore. If using a device or watching TV makes your eyes uncomfortable, you could be suffering from digital eye strain (DES).
65% of Americans experience DES symptoms, which can be particularly severe for those with uncorrected vision problems. Fortunately, the eye doctors at Griffin Optometric Group San Clemente can show you how to prevent DES and reduce your discomfort.
It’s time to give your eyes a break. Please contact us today for an appointment.
Potential Factors Behind Digital Eye Strain
Your Blink Rate During Screen Time
Most people blink less often when they’re looking at a screen, which can result in dry eyes and eye fatigue. Positioning your screen too close to your face can also make the muscles that focus your eyes sore, since they work harder to focus on nearby objects for long periods of time.
Is Blue Light Affecting Your Sleep?
Most screens produce blue light, a kind of high-energy visible light that also exists naturally in the sun’s rays. Blue light might not cause eye disease, but it can disrupt your circadian rhythms and impact your ability to sleep restfully. Without restful sleep, your eyes will likely feel tired when you wake up in the morning.
Digital Eye Strain Strategies
Many people use one of the following methods to reduce the effects of DES:
- Using the 20-20-20 rule to rest the eyes at regular intervals during screen use. Follow this rule by glancing away from your screen every 20 minutes to focus on something 20 feet away for the next 20 seconds.
- Using specialty eyewear that reflects blue light. These “computer vision glasses” may improve sleep quality for people who often look at screens before going to bed.
If you come see one of our eye doctors, we can provide you with a custom plan to reduce your DES symptoms. Contact us today and schedule your next appointment.
Come See What We’re All About
See Us in
Our practice is located on charming Avenida Del Mar, in Downtown San Clemente, California.
- 140 Avenida Del Mar
- San Clemente, CA 92672
- Phone: (949) 492-1853
- Email: GriffinOptometricSC@totalvisionllc.com
Hours of Operation
- Monday: 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM
- Tuesday: 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM
- Wednesday: 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM
- Thursday: 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM
- Friday: 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM
- Saturday: Closed
- Sunday: Closed